Thursday, May 19, 2011

She has his eyes.



My daughter wears her mother's necklace and calls me Pappy.
Pappy was her Irish grandfather on her mother's side.
He had a thick, Irish accent.

"Pappy was like a leprechaun, daddy, and so are you,"
she replies to my question of why she's recently taken to calling me Pappy.
(Side note:  I'm German, but I can do a pretty good Irish accent that makes her laugh.)

He used to bring her four leaf clovers.
Where he'd find them, I don't know.
Luck of the Irish, I guess.

She has her grandfather's eyes.
Her eyes look nothing like mine.
Or her mother's.

A stereotype Irishman who drank himself to an early death, laughing the whole way.
He was a great man.
It's nice to see him in her eyes.

Photo by Angela Shields. Words by Steve Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment