Wednesday, May 18, 2011

'Amalie' Inspired Poetry





Photo by Dustin Whitehead. 

Dustin's ...


I like target around Christmas time.  I like speaking in an extreme and low in pitch southern dialect to impersonate anyone from the south regardless of how subtle their draw. I like fall leaves and midnight walks in January. I like dancing to bands the first time I hear them with those that I love. I like soup.  I like school.  I like introducing people from different chapters of my life.  I like coffee.  I like playing board games with my family and sports with my friends. I like romance. I like nice dinners and good conversation and traveling. I like skyscrapers. I like mountains. I like the ocean. I like film and theatre and music and museums. I like honesty and communication and love. I like Saturday afternoons and planning vacations. I like the name Sadie. I like road trips. I like picnics and weddings and the Green Bay Packers. I like daydreaming and writing and thinking about the future.  I like my grandma. I like running. I like fresh air. I like sailing.  I like children.





I don't like talk of money. I don't like violence. I don't like adultery or death or unorganized airports. I don't like car accidents or bad service.  I don't like selfishness.  I don't like politics, serial killers or going to the DMV. I don't like debt. I don't like bad parents.  I don't like mayonnaise. I don't like Miami, LA, or eggs.  I don't like Halloween or Saint Patrick's Day. I don't like UGS boots. I don't like cotton candy. I don't like digital answering services or when people say "good" when you ask them how they're doing. I don't like strip clubs. I don't like bad food. I certainly don't like expensive bad food. I don't like negative energy or reality TV. I don't like TV.  I don't like garbage, obesity, or racism. I don't like gold. I don't like being too hungry or too thirsty. I don't like clingy couples. I don't like Styrofoam or suburban life. I don't like noise pollution, especially from cabbies. I don't like the idea of a rickshaw, horse or human. I don't like hangovers. I don't like addiction. I don't like food smacking or large amounts of dog poo. I don't like gum.


Sadie's ...

I like cleaning my apartment to the sound of a foreign film. I like baths and room temperature water. Making lemon meringue pie and giving it away. I like girls with short hair. Shoulder bags. I like feathers and watches and postcards from abroad. I like dancing in a swirly skirt. Trail mix. bicycles. Marie Antoinette. I like seeing adults with dimples because it reminds me that we were all children once. I like writing letters on the train and leaving the house without my phone. Stove-tops, old hats, Japan, and rooms lit by an old lamp. I like long walks and lying in the sun. Kneading bread in my mother's kitchen. I like the park. I like catching my reflection in a window as I pass by. Playing cards. I like reading novels in the morning. Amtrak. Sound of Music. Smiling at strangers. I like magnets on refrigerators. And I like the stickers that come on fruit from the grocery store.

I dislike talk radio, air conditioning, and putting my carry on in the overhead bin.

Send us your "Amalie Inspired Poem" if you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment