Thursday, May 3, 2012

I wish I may, I wish I might



She was born
a fated Princess,
borrowed from the fables.

Skin-
the color of fallen snow
Lips-
as red as blood

wearing a
cracked
glass
slipper
shoe
stolen
once upon a time
too soon.

She stepped on the cracks of the sidewalk.
It wouldn't break her Mother's back

She remembered a time- before
beloved
bedtime stories
became
never ending nightmares.

When fairy tales
of fancy
filled her
fantasies,
and Happily Ever Afters
were sealed with a kiss-

And when the clock struck,
her world became a pumpkin.
The apple was poisoned.
There was no prince.

Cinderella
had dressed in yellow-
she made a mistake and kissed a snake.

The London Bridge
came falling down
and said farewell
to her Fair Lady.

Sleeping Beauty
was left to slumber
leaving Bambi-

Motherless.

And so,
life was left
in the color of concrete
and
in the safety of cracks.

Soon
shades of cold
confined her
castle.
She
sacrificed
sorrow-
silently
swallowing
secret
tears.

The only type that
stain
and scar
and sweep away
sweet dreams.

I wished upon
a twinkled star
to be her granted wish.
I asked the storytellers
to make Me her
Fairy Godmother-

All I ever wanted
was to give her
a magic wand.

Photo by Nadia Hassler.  Words by Sarah Spatz.

No comments:

Post a Comment