Friday, February 4, 2011

Whispering




When the leaves fall from the trees
it scares me that I won't be able to tell if the wind still blows

It scares me that I won't hear you
that I might forget

But then the leaves will grow
and the whispering wind wrapping around will make music again
and my walking feet will follow
my heart racing to catch up and dance with you

Then I’ll remember

But the tears now falling
remind me that we suffered
that we weren't happy
that we argued and yelled and fought
that we were enemies and battled
that we made up excuses
that you were kind and i was not
that you wanted love and i wanted to run

I still run
but the wind catches up
when the sun goes down

All warmth has left into the night
and I'm scared for you
crying through the cracks of my window so,
on summer nights, I often let you in
the curtains flow

That night it was too cold
I kept my window shut
and I could hear you scream
you clawed through the glass
and the window froze
my breath turned cold

The next morning I walked out the door
and on the tree that grew in front of our house, the leaves had fallen
…and I wondered if you had gone


Photo by Sadie Myers.  Words by Evagrace Torres.

No comments:

Post a Comment