Friday, March 14, 2014

Unique




You are one of a kind

I remember being told, as a kid, that I was special
Not everyone gets told that

                                      I am grateful

I wanted to see the world and make movies and fall in love.  I wanted to fight against racism and elitism and greed.  I wanted to live in an apartment with a brick wall and a wood floor and ride on trains.  I wanted to drink whiskey and go to the theater.  I wanted to explore and disappear into the night and write poetry.  I wanted to listen to good music.  To have true friends.  To pay attention to the sun sets and sun rises and the rain.  I wanted to jump.  Thank God for keeping me alive.  And jump again.  I wanted to run barefoot on hope and faith.

Maybe I didn't want all of these things at once, but at some point I wanted them.  At some point I put a foot in front of another and shifted my weight.  I fought and scrambled and... got out of bed!  I willed the world to accept me.  I thanked the people and the buildings and Chicago and my artist and if I haven't been thankful enough, I am sorry.


I am grateful.

Please know and remember that you are special 
      Not everyone gets told that 

                                                  You are one of a kind





Photo by Carl.  Words by Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment