Wednesday, April 25, 2012

we made more than a book



I'm not sure how we met.  In a tree maybe.  We used to climb them like crazy.  Before we called it 'down south'.  Before we drank our first beer together.  Before our dads gave us talks about sex and girls and being responsible.  We used to climb the trees.  Ryan was all I ever needed in a friend because whenever I asked him to hang out, he said yes.  And whenever I didn't ask him, he asked me.  My first time sleeping away from home he stayed up with me because I was scared.  He used to help me cover it up if I peed the bed.  He always saw my faults.  And he made fun of me in a way that made us both feel good.  I can't explain it.  I think I can credit Ryan with giving me the strength to withstand any level of sarcasm.  He was hilarious.  He picked on himself better than anyone I've ever known.  He taught me over the years that loyalty is gold and money is for traveling.  He needed only the ocean, his family, and his friends.  And if you met and knew Ryan as a friend, you were forever a friend.  He never lost sight of those he loved.  I will forever hold him in my heart.  And I know that his giant soul spirit heart has room for a little of me...

p-nut,

we made more than a book, you and i
we told stories unscripted 
time after time 
and in every moment there was a truth in your smile and your hope and your spirit

we...
played soccer
climbed trees
went surfing
drank beer

we cooked food
chased girls
were roommates
skipped class

every time i tell stories from college i brag about our epic room
the wrap-around couch
the wall of movie posters
klaus
kritter
all our boys

we stayed up talking for hours
ate at ihop
watched the sunrise over the atlantic
remember the birthday card that bought us t-bell and heineken

did you know we worked together at five different jobs
publix
bennigans
florida elks youth camp
carrabas
and that pizza joint down south


in 2001 we made a sort of year book to celebrate our friends
we'll always have that
but we made a hell of a lot more than a book, you and i


we fucking changed the world together
i love you



Photo by John.  Words by Dustin.

1 comment:

  1. such a sweet friend. Such a loss.

    ReplyDelete