Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ohio




Over there in California-
Energy’s not cheap.

I can’t imagine what it’ll cost
For a shower and a shave.

But we lost another one here;
One of the mad ones-
She was                              ----decorated
                                  ----ceremonial
----with a s m a l l tattoo
The size
Of a pencil
                                          ----on her face
But beyond pencil
It couldn’t be hidden away
Placed in pocket
Or left on
Desk.

-She took it with her           ----everywhere.

I guess I should’ve been awake
When last note sung
When last line wrote
Last pill
E         x           p             l            o          d             I            n           g
In to
Long night dopamine
And dead-eyed tomorrow
-where was I?
-off?
And pre-occupied with what
In such great presence?

When I’m quick-timing
One of those
Short-shaves
In California,
I know
I’ll see that mark on my own face.

I know
That in razorblade
And brambles
And wild grapes

I won’t forget
-the rosebuds-
And what we couldn’t hide in Ohio:
Another mad one, taken
By the river.

Photo by Anonymous. Words by Justin David Koontz.

No comments:

Post a Comment