Sunday, April 24, 2011

Smoke Rolls,



I know that.
I see from the left and the right and the center
Where it climbs over everything that can’t be had
By hands
Or by fingertips
Or
L o n g
Forgotten signals
Of the calling machine;
Underneath the seat
-Where my brain sits.
                               These things happen
Smoke: the unaccounted for
And uncontrolled
In the Universe.
They appear left and right and center
-If they are seen like they’d like to be.
But the smoke’s indifference puts to rest
Every iron
Of astute assumption
In the vein of knowing.
Bent around my hands and still ascending
a-w-a-y
from where my breath and my eyes and my words go.
I don’t take it personally.
Through windows
You can hear the scientists gathered
-They are manic
Tossed hands raised up
And palms to the sky
They are reciting old prayers and incantations.
They are guessing.
They told me there are 53BILLIONPLANETSINTHEGALAXY
They told me not to take life so personally,
They told me to smoke-
Because the Universe needs more carbon
And the typewriter is out of ribbon,
And the ribbon is out of ink.
Don’t take it personally. 

Photo by Randy Conner. Words by Justin David Koontz.

No comments:

Post a Comment