Sunday, January 23, 2011

How bout a beer for the boys...



How bout a beer for the boys...

As I get older I learn and I grow. And I watch my friends as they learn and grow. And I'd like to stop for a second to check in. To remember all that was and what is still to come...

Things used to be simple. “Come over to my place friday night. My dads going to order pizza and rent movies.” I remember how excited I got when I landed my first ollie on a skateboard. I remember going to dances and looking at the girls in awe. Terrified. Taking in every second. I remember alcohol. How it tasted that first time. “What's the difference between whiskey and Rum?”

The world was huge. I remember thinking that traveling to Europe or Asia or South America was an impossible crazy romantic dream. But I wanted it so bad. I wanted to go everywhere. I started simple, organizing road trips visiting friends from one college town to another.  Life had no bounds. Part time jobs were a game and new friendships were my occupation. Then came the theatre world and living in Chicago. I sold my car and got a bike.  I started riding the train and the bus.  There's always something new and exciting.  Life seems to make sure of it.  

On my journey living in Virginia and Milwaukee and Melbourne Beach and Jacksonville and Chicago, traveling to nearly 40 states and 10 countries, I've learned a lot.  I've had some great experiences and I have some rad stories to tell around the campfire. But the best thing to come out of my life are the relationships that I've made and have been blessed to keep with my friends. I know some amazing people. I want to take a moment and appreciate that.

Now, when I say boys I don't necessarily mean the male sex. The term boys is more specific than that. It refers to people that I can't simply call friends. When I call you my boy, it means we are friends for life. It means that I can go days or months or years without speaking with or seeing you and the love won't suffer for a second. When I call you my boy it means that I would trust and honor and believe in you until the bitter end. It's an overdramatic term, I'll be the first to admit that. But I dig passion and I believe in true love among friends. I believe in having boys.

So here's to my boys in Chicago and Florida and New York and DC and California and Colorado and Connecticut and London and Spain and Chile and everywhere in between.

How bout a beer for the boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment