Monday, August 16, 2010

View n' Chew



I only drink apple juice on airplanes.   I’m not sure why.  Maybe it gives me something to look forward to while going through security.  Or perhaps the subtle sweetness helps me to fall asleep.  I love sleeping while flying.  It’s some of the best sleep.  You can close your eyes in one world and wake up closer to another.  No matter what you dream about or how long you’re asleep you know that when you wake up you will be somewhere indefinitely closer to a new world… I doubt that I’m alone in this; I think most people like to sleep on planes…  What if we go to sleep because we are so scared of flying that we don’t want to acknowledge that it's happening?  Now, one might say, “I’m not afraid, I fly all the time.”  But I think that’s bogus.  The whole thing is rather bogus actually.  I mean… we can’t fly.  Humans can’t fly!  We don’t have wings.  We can’t defy gravity.  I don’t pretend to know everything by any means, but I know this: there is not a human on earth that can fly.  Not one.  And there has to be somewhere inside every human body that knows we shouldn't be doing this, that we have no right to be shooting through the air propelled by burning sediment.  There's got to be some natural humanistic awareness that says, “I can’t do this.  How am I doing this?”  The body’s probably having a conversation with itself, “Did I skip a step in evolution?” it asks.  “Is that really the earth down there?”  And it answers back, “I don’t know man.”  To which it finally decides, “well screw this, I’m going to sleep.  I need some apple juice.” 




Photo by Sadie Myers.  Words by Dustin Whitehead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment